Workers Compensation Underwriting Specialist
Company: GuideOne Insurance
Location: West Des Moines
Posted on: July 10, 2019
For more than 60 years, we have protected organizations that strive
to make the world a better place. We support this cause by
safeguarding our members' property and assets. Through diligent
research and analysis, our Commercial Lines department develops
products and services that truly benefit our members. Consistent
with our core value of being nimble, the department produces
insurance coverage plans that meet the ever-changing needs of
churches, educational institutions, senior living communities and
nonprofit organizations. We make positive change possible for these
organizations by protecting them while they pursue their mission to
The Workers Compensation Underwriting Specialist is responsible for
managing a specialized book of business for profitability and
growth, including responsibility for advising other underwriters
and support staff on technical systems, processes and procedures
and consulting at the highest level of technical underwriting
authority. The Underwriting Specialist fully reviews both new and
renewal business, assesses risk, underwriting fit and pricing,
prepares quotes and builds proposals that articulate the GuideOne
value proposition. In this vital role, you will review and approve
underwriting decisions for lower authority level underwriters. Our
Workers Compensation Underwriting Specialist will also prepare
recommendations for review with a Commercial Lines Manager if
policy is outside prescribed authority limits, builds successful
relationships with agents to drive increased, positive business
flow and is responsible for defined new business production and
renewal retention goals. Our ideal Underwriting Specialist is a
creative thinker, able to drive Workers Compensation business, and
able to independently direct work flow.
This role is the highest individual contributor level within the
Underwriter job family and is typically not open to all individuals
as part of the normal career path. This position has the
opportunity to be located out of our main office in West Des
Moines, IA, or remotely from a home office anywhere within the
As a Workers Compensation Underwriting Specialist, you will:
- Analyze exposures and determines acceptable risks for complex
niche business to determine coverage and premium that is both
adequate and competitive in the marketplace.
- Often handle a higher complexity state with a higher complexity
of exposure to include a higher regulatory environment and larger
- Take a tactical approach to underwriting in order to achieve
desired profitability and growth of book of business within
established goals and business metrics.
- Exercise judgment and latitude based on industry experience in
order to evaluate risk and make or recommend decisions as part of
the overall department strategy.
- Analyze inspection reports, location, risk, and financial
reports to accept or reject new and renewal business.
- Manage risk portfolio to ensure the assigned book of business
is tracking with established goals and key business metrics.
- Serve as the highest level of technical underwriting authority.
Review and approve underwriting decisions for lower authority
- Work collaboratively with Underwriting Assistants on accounts
and agency relationships within assigned underwriting
- May provide work direction to junior Underwriters.
- Provide backup WC technical support to the other commercial
- Build successful relationships with agents to drive increased,
positive business flow. Have a hunter mentality in taking
initiative for new business growth with the agent relationship.
Some travel will be required to visit key agency partners.
- Communicate with Loss Control, Risk Management and Claims.
- Bachelor's degree in business administration, finance or
related field of study preferred.
- Chartered Property Casualty Underwriter (CPCU), Insurance
Institute of America (IIA) or other related industry designation
Additional Skills & Abilities:
- Broad knowledge of common terms, practices, processes and
regulations in the P&C insurance industry.
- An ability to consistently apply advanced underwriting concepts
and practices within the P&C underwriting field.
- Adept at applying negotiating skills, reasonableness and
exercising sound judgment in analysis and decision making
- Ability to convey clear & concise information to others
utilizing excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Advanced analytical, problem-solving and decision-making
- Strong customer service orientation.
- Advanced knowledge of Microsoft products including a strong
foundation in Excel (pivot tables, vlookups, etc.) for the purpose
of strategic analysis.
- Strong attention to numeric and other details.
- Strong customer service orientation.
- Organizational skills and ability to manage large work volume
and meet tight deadlines.
GuideOne Insurance was founded upon two key philosophies that
endure to this day: a commitment to social responsibility, and a
dedication to serving customers in select niche markets.
At GuideOne Insurance, we believe that our people are our greatest
asset. We encourage our employees to work towards common goals and
succeed together. GuideOne is a recognized expert in providing
Commercial Lines insurance and financial services to:
- Churches and Houses of Worship
- Small Businesses
- Schools and Higher Education Institutions
- Non-Profit Organizations
Rich Benefits Package:
- 401(k) includes up to a 7% match at 100%
- Generous time off program including; personal, holiday , and
volunteer paid time off
- Flexible work schedules
- A dress for your day environment
- Wellness incentives
- Free Basic Life & AD&D
- Free short-term and long-term disability
- Educational assistance program
- 3 different medical plans options to meet individual needs,
including dental and vision
- Various employee events throughout the year
- Company sponsored community volunteer opportunities
No immigration sponsorship is offered for this position
This Company Participates in E-Verify
Background Check Required
Keywords: GuideOne Insurance, West Des Moines , Workers Compensation Underwriting Specialist, Other , West Des Moines, Iowa
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!