ICU/Med Surg Unit Nursing Director
Company: MercyOne West Des Moines
Location: WEST DES MOINES
Posted on: June 11, 2021
CommonSpirit Health was formed by the alignment of Catholic
Health Initiatives (CHI) and Dignity Health. With more than 700
care sites across the U. S. & from clinics and hospitals to
home-based care and virtual care services CommonSpirit is
accessible to nearly one out of every four U. S. residents. Our
world needs compassion like never before. Our communities need
caring and our families need protection. With our combined
resources CommonSpirit is committed to building healthy communities
advocating for those who are poor and vulnerable and innovating how
and where healing can happen both inside our hospitals and out in
- Leads and promotes evidence-based practice and research among
unit leaders and staff.
- Promotes best practice implementation on unit.
- Works independently with limited direction from the nurse
executive using the Nurse Practice Act, Mercy Medical Center
policies, nursing standards and professional judgment.
- Utilizes delegation skills effectively.
- Directs the recruitment and retention activities on the
- Conducts the performance appraisal process.
- Directs health care members (i.e., registered nurses, licensed
practical nurses, patient care technicians, etc.) in the delivery
of safe and effective patient care.
- Operates unit within approved budget.
- Facilitates efficient operation of unit activities.
- Maintains knowledge of documentation requirements needed for
employees' files and patients' records.
- Administers nursing care to patients; includes assessment,
planning, implementing and evaluating the patient's care plan in
coordination with the physician.
- Directs/provides emergency support measures (i.e.,
cardiopulmonary resuscitation, protecting patient from
- Develops an annual operational plan (including scope of
service) integrated with Mercy's strategic plan and related
departments' operational plans in order to efficiently provide
- Develops, implements and periodically reviews all policies and
procedures that guide and support the assigned services. These
include, but are not limited to, JC requirements, federal and state
regulations, regulatory standards, etc.
- Develops and maintains departmental staffing plan for all
departments supervised, detailing appropriate employee
classifications and qualifications consistent with the department's
operational plan, projected volumes, patient/acuity and other
relevant indicators. Participates in human resource planning
providing recommendations for staffing, proactive recruitment and
long-term needs. Assure compliance with staffing plan.
- Continuously assess and improves the department's performance
based on, but not limited to, the department's quality plan
monitors and customer/employee satisfaction data.
- Supervises assigned management staff. Provides necessary
education, orientation and support to management team.
- Develops annual operating and capital budgets, monitors and
analyzes performance and productivity and implements necessary
corrective plans. Collaborates with other departments in budget
preparation, determining capital priorities, monitoring and
analyzing trends. Utilizes budget information in management
- Provides for the means and methods to assure competent patient
care to the patient population served by obtaining and
appropriately interpreting data, using demonstrated knowledge
feedback and appropriately adapting procedures.
- Supports and abides by all Mercy policies, including safety
policies and practices.
- Participates in national professional and related organizations
to ensure current knowledge of operations.
- Maintains open and positive communication with staff,
physicians, other hospital departments and others.
- Performs other responsibilities as requested by nurse
- Possession of a current or compact state license as a
registered nurse issued/defined by the State of Iowa.
- Bachelor degree in nursing required, or actively in pursuit of
BSN degree (accepted into a BSN Program and/or currently enrolled).
Expected to take at least six credits per year at the CNO or
Associate Chief of Nursing's discretion for exception.
- Minimum 3-5 years clinical experience.
- Prior proven experience and expertise in management, having had
a leadership position for at least 1 year.
- Proof of completion of Mandatory Reporter - Child and/or
Dependent Adult Abuse training within three (3) months of
- BLS certified by the end of the orientation period
(approximately six (6) weeks).
CommonSpirit Health participates in E-verify.
Keywords: MercyOne West Des Moines, West Des Moines , ICU/Med Surg Unit Nursing Director, Other , WEST DES MOINES, Iowa
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!