Manager Ambulatory Surgery
Company: MercyOne West Des Moines Medical Center
Location: West Des Moines
Posted on: March 18, 2023
Overview MercyOne Central Iowa operates four not-for-profit,
Catholic medical centers in Des Moines, West Des Moines, Newton and
Centerville and two specialty hospitals - MercyOne Children's
Hospital in Des Moines and MercyOne Rehabilitation Hospital in
Clive (965 beds total) - along with more than 20 additional
facilities that house more than 50 primary care, pediatric,
internal medicine and specialty clinics. Founded by the Sisters of
Mercy in 1893, MercyOne Central Iowa has the longest continually
operating hospital in Des Moines and is also one of the largest
employers in the state, with more than 7,000 employees and a
medical staff of more than 1,000 physicians and allied health
associates. MercyOne Central Iowa is a member of MercyOne, which
was founded in 1998 through a collaboration between CommonSpirit
Health and Trinity Health - two of the country's foremost,
not-for-profit Catholic health organizations. MercyOne has more
than 20,000 colleagues in Iowa and surrounding states. MercyOne
also provides you with the quality care you provide to others. We
care about our employees well-being and offer benefits that
complement work/life balance. We offer the following benefits to
support you and your family:
- program supporting any child care, pet care, or adult dependent
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP) for you and your family
- Health/Dental/Vision Insurance
- Flexible spending accounts
- Voluntary Protection: Group Accident, Critical Illness, and
- Adoption Assistance
- Paid Time Off (PTO)
- Tuition Assistance for career growth and development
- Matching Retirement Programs
- Wellness Program Responsibilities GENERAL SUMMARY : Provide
direct patient care and coordinates nursing activities to
facilitate safe, quality patient care at the unit/department level.
Acts as a role model and change agent by initiating and accepting
changes for improved patient care and cost reductions. Maintains
active communication and collaborates with physicians, staff and
other managers to meet specialty, departmental and organizational
goals. Under the direction of the Director, may assist with other
management responsibilities including budget management, planning,
increased throughput and patient care management. ESSENTIAL
- With other managers, participates in the development,
implementation and periodical reviews of all policies and
procedures that guide and support the assigned services. These
include, but are not limited to The Joint Commission requirements,
federal and state regulations, regulatory standards, etc.
- Provides support to staff to ensure patients of a positive care
experience. Assists with the resolution of patient/family
complaints. Escalates issues appropriately to the director or
- Participates in developing and maintaining departmental
staffing plan for all areas supervised, detailing appropriate
employee classifications and qualifications consistent with the
department's operational plan, projected volumes, patient/acuity
and other relevant indicators. Collaborates on a daily basis with
other managers to ensure adequate staffing for all areas.
- Supervises assigned staff. Provides and/or coordinates
necessary education, orientation and support to the team.
- Provides input in the development of annual operating and
capital budgets, monitors and analyzes performance and productivity
and implements necessary corrective plans. Utilizes budget
information in management decision-making.
- Provides front-line leadership as a resource, mentor, and role
model in delivering patient care using a team approach
- Coordinates equipment and supply needs to ensure availability
- Attends department meetings, management meetings and others as
assigned. Conducts regular staff meetings/huddles.
- Monitors safety compliance and contributes to fostering a
culture of safety at the unit level.
- Forms effective work team through communication, team-building
skills, coaching and counseling techniques, mentoring, delegation,
decisiveness and integrity.
- Supports and participates in departmental performance
improvement and quality activities.
- May assist with additional management duties as assigned by the
unit/department director, including, but not limited to:
Interviewing and hiring of personnel, scheduling of staff,
utilization of special pay practices, timekeeping, and maintaining
- Provide staff performance feedback including annual reviews and
discipline as needed.
- Maintains high level clinical competence to assess patient
needs, plan patient care, implement appropriate interventions, and
evaluate the effectiveness of patient care delivered to defined
- Provides orientation/education for staff, students and other
hospitals and community organizations as needed. Understands
employee competency documentation requirements.
- Performs other responsibilities as requested. Qualifications
MIMIMUM KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED :
- Possession of a current or compact state license as a
registered nurse issued/defined by the State of Iowa.
- Bachelor degree in Nursing, or actively in pursuit of
Bachelor's degree in Nursing (accepted into a Program and/or
currently enrolled). Expected to take at least six credits per year
at Unit Director's discretion for exception.
- Minimum of two (2) years of RN perioperative experience
- Management experience preferred.
- Certified Nurse, Operating Room (CNOR) or alternative
- Basic Life Support certified within six (6) weeks of hire. The
acceptable credentialing body is the American Heart
- Advanced Cardiac Life Support (ACLS) certified or obtained
within six (6) months of hire per department requirements.
- Pediatric Advanced Life Support (PALS) certified or obtained
within six (6) months of hire per department requirements.
- Proof of completion of Mandatory reporter abuse training
specific to population served with three (3) months of hire.
- Ability to read, write and speak English language.
- Demonstrated leadership skills, knowledge of surgeon needs,
procedures and equipment required.
- Strong interpersonal skills with staff, management and
physicians required. Pay Range$31.92 - $46.29 /hour
Keywords: MercyOne West Des Moines Medical Center, West Des Moines , Manager Ambulatory Surgery, Healthcare , West Des Moines, Iowa
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!
Loading more jobs...