Actuarial Associate - Annuity Product Management
Company: Sammons Financial Group
Location: West Des Moines
Posted on: July 7, 2019
Sammons-- Financial Group's (SFG) member companies offer some of
today's most sought after life insurance, annuity, and retirement
planning products. Unlike most financial organizations, our
companies are not publicly traded, which means we're focused on
long-term value rather than short-term earnings pressures. As a
privately held company, our leaders and employees remain
consistently focused on long-term growth, making decisions that
allow us to deliver on our commitments to customers, distribution
partners, our employees, and our communities. Individually, our
companies provide value in the products and services they offer.
Together we represent a history of strength and longevity.
Here is what you can expect when you join SFG:
- A Casual dress code which includes jeans.
- A rich company culture driven by private ownership and
intentional leadership that inspires employees to engage in our
healthy, high-performing and values based culture.
- Healthy balance between work and personal lives. Friday
afternoons off all year long, competitive PTO and generous number
of paid holidays.
- Great benefits including medical, dental, vision, wellness
plan, charitable giving programs, education assistance--- to name a
- ESOP- A generous 100% company funded retirement plan.
Here's what you can expect as the Actuarial Associate - Annuity
Serve as a leader to effectively and efficiently perform actuarial
processes related to this role. This may include modeling, data
analytics, product development, and/or financial reporting for
Sammons Financial Group (SFG) Member Companies' products.
Understand SFG and business unit financial goals and objectives.
Analyze, summarize and present management information. Provide
technical guidance to others and lead projects as directed.
- Develop strong knowledge of SFG products related to area of
focus. Understand customer value propositions. Understand new
products and make recommendations regarding how to incorporate into
existing models and/or actuarial processes.
- Apply good knowledge of insurance contracts and actuarial
related regulations to perform existing actuarial processes.
Prepare materials required to comply with applicable
- Develop and apply assumptions required for actuarial
calculations and modeling. Interpret internal and external data
available to make and justify recommendations for individual
assumptions for review by management. Use actuarial models to
understand and explain the impact of a change in assumptions.
Document assumptions and sources of data used.
- Create, understand and interpret complex financial models which
may include models for reporting of assets, liabilities, solvency
and profitability measures, product pricing and financial
projections. Assist in choosing the appropriate modeling approach,
following best practices, and using the right tools and methods to
maximize efficiency. Perform analysis and assist in explaining the
results of both deterministic and stochastic projections. Ensure
proper governance, peer review and documentation is completed.
- Build good knowledge of accounting standards and other
reporting requirements covering insurance liabilities and the
assets backing liabilities. Understand, analyze and explain
financial reporting as needed, including balance sheets and income
statements produced by actuarial models.
- Create and apply spreadsheets, databases and other data
analytic software as needed to perform data analysis efficiently.
Summarize, manipulate, transform and aggregate data. Present
aggregated data verbally, numerically, graphically or in another
written format to highlight key features. Perform checks to confirm
the robustness of the data and analysis.
- Understand concepts of relevant actuarial risks and the
implications of failing to manage risk. Quantify risk exposure and
use model projections to produce management information to measure
and to monitor on-going exposure. Summarize and present analysis to
appropriate actuarial leaders. Assist in developing risk mitigation
- Assist and/or lead special projects as required. Work
individually and/or in teams to complete projects on time and with
high quality. Effectively plan and prioritize your own work in
accordance with broader team or department objectives and
- Develop relationships and collaborate with other departments
and business units. Communicate effectively with other actuarial
teams to ensure consistency in modeling approaches and assumptions
across actuarial functions.
- Participate in the Society of Actuaries' examination program
with a satisfactory pass record per SFG's actuarial study program
- Must have a Bachelor's degree, preferably in the area of
mathematics, or a business related field.
- ASA designation preferred.
- Prefer at least 4-6 years of experience in the field of
- Demonstrate a high level of mathematical ability and attention
to detail and strong analytical skills.
- Demonstrate strong computer skills including proficiency in the
use of applicable technical tools.
- Demonstrate strong written and verbal communication skills
including ability to present technical information to actuarial
- Possess solid understanding of insurance industry.
- Ability to identify and analyze problems or questions and
provide recommendations to appropriate audiences.
- Ability to work both individually and as part of a team.
- Highly organized with the demonstrated ability to manage
multiple projects and to switch priorities as necessary.
- Criminal background check required.
Keywords: Sammons Financial Group, West Des Moines , Actuarial Associate - Annuity Product Management, Executive , West Des Moines, Iowa
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!