Manager- West Des Moines Labor and Delivery
Company: MercyOne Des Moines Medical Center
Location: West Des Moines
Posted on: October 16, 2020
Overview: CommonSpirit Health was formed by the alignment of
Catholic Health Initiatives (CHI) and Dignity Health. With more
than 700 care sites across the U. S. , from clinics and hospitals
to home-based care and virtual care services, CommonSpirit is
accessible to nearly one out of every four U.S. residents. Our
world needs compassion like never before. Our communities need
caring and our families need protection. With our combined
resources, CommonSpirit is committed to building healthy
communities, advocating for those who are poor and vulnerable, and
innovating how and where healing can happen, both inside our
hospitals and out in the community.
: Designated as leader for specified nursing area, its patient
population, and assigned staff. Assumes 24-hour responsibility,
authority and accountability for all patient-care activities, unit
operation, staff function and staff development. Provides patient
care activities to patients of diverse ages.
- Leads and promotes evidence-based practice and research among
unit leaders and staff.
- Promotes best practice implementation on unit.
- Works independently with limited direction from the nurse
executive using the Nurse Practice Act, Mercy Medical Center
policies, nursing standards and professional judgment.
- Utilizes delegation skills effectively.
- Directs the recruitment and retention activities on the
- Conducts the performance appraisal process.
- Directs health care members (i.e., registered nurses, licensed
practical nurses, patient care technicians, etc.) in the delivery
of safe and effective patient care.
- Operates unit within approved budget.
- Facilitates efficient operation of unit activities.
- Maintains knowledge of documentation requirements needed for
employees' files and patients' records.
- Administers nursing care to patients; includes assessment,
planning, implementing and evaluating the patient's care plan in
coordination with the physician.
- Directs/provides emergency support measures (i.e.,
cardiopulmonary resuscitation, protecting patient from
- Develops an annual operational plan (including scope of
service) integrated with Mercy's strategic plan and related
departments' operational plans in order to efficiently provide
- Develops, implements and periodically reviews all policies and
procedures that guide and support the assigned services. These
include, but are not limited to, JC requirements, federal and state
regulations, regulatory standards, etc.
- Develops and maintains departmental staffing plan for all
departments supervised, detailing appropriate employee
classifications and qualifications consistent with the department's
operational plan, projected volumes, patient/acuity and other
relevant indicators. Participates in human resource planning
providing recommendations for staffing, proactive recruitment and
long-term needs. Assure compliance with staffing plan.
- Continuously assess and improves the department's performance
based on, but not limited to, the department's quality plan
monitors and customer/employee satisfaction data.
- Supervises assigned management staff. Provides necessary
education, orientation and support to management team.
- Develops annual operating and capital budgets, monitors and
analyzes performance and productivity and implements necessary
corrective plans. Collaborates with other departments in budget
preparation, determining capital priorities, monitoring and
analyzing trends. Utilizes budget information in management
- Provides for the means and methods to assure competent patient
care to the patient population served by obtaining and
appropriately interpreting data, using demonstrated knowledge
feedback and appropriately adapting procedures.
- Supports and abides by all Mercy policies, including safety
policies and practices.
- Participates in national professional and related organizations
to ensure current knowledge of operations.
- Maintains open and positive communication with staff,
physicians, other hospital departments and others.
- Performs other responsibilities as requested by nurse
- Delegates orientation/education for staff, students and other
hospital and community organizations.
- Adjusts staffing to provide coverage based on patient
MINIMUM KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED
*MINIMUM 2 YEARS OB EXPERIENCE REQUIRED; MANAGEMENT EXPERIENCE
- Possession of a current or compact state license as a
registered nurse issued/defined by the State of Iowa.
- Bachelor degree in nursing required, or actively in pursuit of
BSN degree (accepted into a BSN Program and/or currently enrolled).
Expected to take at least six credits per year at the CNO or
Associate Chief of Nursing's discretion for exception.
- Minimum 3-5 years clinical experience.
- Prior proven experience and expertise in management, having had
a leadership position for at least 1 year.
- Proof of completion of Mandatory Reporter - Child and/or
Dependent Adult Abuse training within three (3) months of
- BLS certified by the end of the orientation period
(approximately six (6) weeks).Equal Opportunity
CommonSpirit Health is an Equal Opportunity employer committed to a
diverse and inclusive workforce. All qualified applicants will be
considered for employment without regard to race, color, religion,
sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age,
disability, marital status, parental status, ancestry, veteran
status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected
External hires must pass a post offer, pre-employment background
check/drug screen. Qualified applicants with an arrest and/or
conviction will be considered for employment in a manner consistent
with federal and state laws, as well as applicable local
ordinances, ban the box laws, including but not limited to the San
Francisco and Los Angeles Fair Chance Ordinances.
If you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the
employment process, please contact us by telephone at and let us
know the nature of your request. We will only respond to messages
left that involve a request for a reasonable accommodation in the
application process. We will accommodate the needs of any qualified
candidate who requests a reasonable accommodation under the
Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA).
CommonSpirit Health participates in E-verify.
Keywords: MercyOne Des Moines Medical Center, West Des Moines , Manager- West Des Moines Labor and Delivery, Executive , West Des Moines, Iowa
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!